Licenses are Changing


The changes to licenses are an effort to improve workplace health and safety by:

  • introducing structured training before a person obtains a license; and
  • Relying on the management of licensing related training products and service delivery through vocational education and training sectors.

The changes will address identity fraud issues through the inclusion of renewable photographic licenses for some high risk work. New license cards will be introduced commencing 1 July 2008.

For more information, refer to the fact sheets: at

  • An overview of the occupational licensing changes
  • Changes to licensing cards

If you or your employees hold an ‘old style’ paper ticket you have until 30 June 2008 to apply to be issued with a new license card. You must advise the Department if you want to retain your license.

If you don’t want to retain your license, you don’t have to do anything. After 30 June 2008 the ‘old style’ paper based tickets will no longer be recognised or valid to be used to carry out work in a licensed occupation.

If you or your employees have a plastic card license issued since 1992 you will be contacted by mail between 1 July 2008 and 30 June 2009 only if your license needs to be changed to a renewable and photographic license.

If your license class is not being transitioned no action is required.

Licenses NOT requiring photographic licenses:

Licenses not requiring photographic licenses:

License Code Class
LB Front-end loader Backhoe (QLD > 2 L engine capacity)
LBG Bridge/gantry, 3 power remote control load over 5 t
LE Excavator (QLD > 2 L engine capacity)
LL Front-end loader (QLD > 2 L engine capacity)
LP Scraper
LR Road roller (QLD > 2 L engine capacity)
LG Grader
LS Skid steer loader (QLD > 2 L engine capacity)
LZ Dozer


Safety laws for the operation of forklifts, cranes, boom lifts and other high risk equipment have changed. As a result, current ‘ticket’ holders need to transfer to the new ‘License to Perform High Risk Work’.

The new license will align with national safety standards, improve interstate recognition of current skills and better protect against fraud by incorporating a photograph into the license.

First-time applicants should contact an authorised license assessor to book a test. Details on how to contact an assessor can be found on

All existing tickets will expire between 31 January 2008 and 30 June 2012, depending on when they were first issued.  Re-qualification or re-assessment is not necessary for those transferring to the new license before their current ticket expires.

Transferring to the new license is simple:

  1. Register online NOW
    You must register in order for WorkSafe to send you a License to Perform High Risk Work Transfer Application Form. Register at  You will need to provide your Certificate number and date of issue. If you have more than one Certificate, use the earliest issue date.
  2. Complete the application form
    Three months before your existing Certificate expires, WorkSafe will send you a License to Perform High Risk Work Transfer Application pack. You will then have three months to lodge the completed form before your Certificate expires. Complete the form, but do not sign it. Your signature must be witnessed by an Australia Post officer at lodgment.
  3. Lodge the application form
    The application form must be lodged by you, in person, at an Australia Post outlet. You can find your nearest outlet on the Australia Post website, at You must take your completed, original form, at least 100 points of ID, all your current Victorian issued Certificates, a recent passport size photo of yourself, and the application fee of $45.

Australia Post will process your application on behalf of WorkSafe. You should receive your license within four weeks – more complex applications may take longer.

About the Author

Safety Concepts is an online resource providing up to date insights and covering issues in the field of Workplace Safety.

Comments (2)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Warren Tunks says:

    Can some one let us know how to go about updating paper tickets.

    I have a few and do not want them to run out with new legislation.


  2. I think that introducining structered training as a requirement to obtaining a high risk lisecnce is a great idea. Not only should workers know what the risks are, I think that they s hould also know how to respond appropriately. A regulated training program should ensure that everyone is taught the proper saftey procedures.

Leave a Reply

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a Gravatar.